Changjiang Scholars Program of Ministry of Education of China –Distinguished Professor
“Cheung Kong (Changjiang) Scholars Program”, jointly sponsored by the Chinese Ministry of Education and Li Ka Shing Foundation, was initiated in August 1998. The Program makes grants to distinguished professors and chair professors, and awards prizes to Changjiang scholars for outstanding achievements. Each year, 100 distinguished professors are appointed under the Program, each with a three-year term of appointment.
Qualifications and conditions:
Provisions for the appointment and compensation:
- An applicant shall be prepared to work and live in the the People’s Republic of China, and have a high moral standard, serious attitude on doing research, and personal integrity;
- An applicant shall have a doctor’s degree, be involved in the first line of teaching or research, be 45 years of age or younger (for a natural science position) or 50 years of age or younger (for a humanities/social science position); the age limit for an applicant from overseas may be loosened based on actual circumstances;
- An overseas applicant shall hold an assistant professorship or above, or equivalent position in a first-rate university; an domestic applicant shall hold a professorship or equivalent position;
- An applicant shall be capable of teaching a core course;
- An applicant shall be well-versed in his/her field of specialization, with important research achievements generally recognized by peers in and out of China;
- An applicant shall possess potential for strategic thinking and creative development of his/her field of work, and a capacity of making a major advance in the field or keeping at par with the latest international progress;
- An applicant shall be good at team work and devoted to his/her cause, have necessary organization, management and leadership abilities, know how to nurture young scholars, emphasize the building of a well-tiered academic team, and have the skills needed to lead an innovative team in making breakthroughs;
- An applicant shall undertake to work at USTC for nine months or longer each year during the term of this appointment.
Time of application: Once a year, to be specified by MOE. (USTC accepts application materials all the year round.)
- In addition to the regular salary, benefits and insurance coverage to be provided according to the government regulations, USTC shall provide an annual position subsidy of not less than 200,000 RMB for a Distinguished Professor;
- USTC shall provide some research funding in accordance with relevant government regulations and the need of the program involved; and
- USTC shall provide good working and living conditions.
- For university review:
1）Two copies of resume (including basic personal data, education and work experience, main academic achievements, information on projects undertaken, a list of publications, patents and awards, etc.)
2）An applicant shall submit materials as specified in article 2 below once his/her application is officially recommended by the University after its review.
- For official application:
A. Hard Copy:
1) Application form in three copies, generated by the application software (to be downloaded at official Changjiang scholars program website);
2) One set of bounded appendices, including
a) Table of contents with page number;
b) Proof of all projects participated, awards obtained and patents issued;
c) Full text of 5 representative publications specified in the application form, plus the cover and table of contents pages of the containing magazines;
d) SCI、EI、SSCI citation report of publication record, prepared by an authenticated library agency;
e) Employment letter from current employer;
f) Photocopy of position/speech invitation letter for leading field organization/conference;
g) If a field expert's positive evaluation of the applicant is cited in the application materials, please provide the proof.
B. Electronic Copy:
1) Word document generated by the application software;
2) A single document of appendices in pdf format, zipped if necessary, with size no larger than 10M.